- 1/4 cup canola or plain vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain flour (maida) – not self rising, just all-purpose.
- 1 and 1/2 full teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 250 grams strawberries, cut into quarters
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Mix the egg, milk, vinegar and oil in a big bowl.
- Add the sugar and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder, and mix well with a whisk till smooth.
- Pour the batter into a round baking dish, which has been buttered or oiled a bit on the sides and bottom to prevent the cake from sticking. I ended up using a pie-pan. It looked cuter in it
- Now mix one tablespoon sugar with the quartered strawberries. Arrange the strawberries on the top of the batter, pushing each piece of strawberry in a bit into the batter.
- Bake it in the oven at 180 degrees for 60 minutes or till the cake is done and a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Hi just curious what is the purpose of vinegar in this cake? Is it an important part for this recipe to work?- March 1, 2013
How much is 250 grams of strawberries?- April 1, 2013