Chocolate and Dulce de Leche Tassies
- 1 cup butter
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup dulce de leche (instructions to make it below in the notes)
- 6 oz semi sweet bakers chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter
- 24 whole hazelnuts
- In a medium bowl, combine 1 cup butter and cream cheese. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is combined. Add flour. Beat on low speed just until combined. Cover and chill dough for one hour.
- Shape dough into 24 balls. Press each ball evenly into the bottoms and up the sides of 24 ungreased 1-3/4-inch mini muffin cups.
- Bake in a 325F oven for 15-20 minutes. The pastry should be starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate and the tablespoon of butter in a microwave on half power. Stir until smooth.
- Spoon about a teaspoon of dulce de leche in each tassie. it should be about halfway (or just a little more) up the sides of each tassie.
- Spoon some of the melted chocolate over top of the dulce de leche.
- Top with a hazelnut.
- Let the chocolate harden before storing. Store in an airtight container for up to a week or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
An easy way to make dulce de leche, is with condensed milk in a slow cooker. Remove the label off the can of condensed milk and place the unopened can in a slow cooker. Fill the slow cooker with water so that the water covers the can. Set the slow cooker to low and cook the condensed milk for 8 hours. Remove the can from the water and let it come to room temperature before opening. Open the can and there is some delicious dulce de leche!!