Balsamic Glazed Steak Rolls Recipe
Balsamic Glazed Steak Rolls
For the steak:
- 1 1/2 – 2 lb skirt steak/ 8-10 thin sliced sirloin (flank steak or thin-sliced top round also works)
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Your favorite steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the filling:
- 1 carrot
- 1 bell pepper
- 1/2 a zucchini (depending on size)
- 5-6 green onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp Italian herb seasoning
For the glaze:
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- To prep the steak: Trim any fat and cut the steak into 3 by 5 or so inch wide pieces. Tenderize the meat with a meat hammer if necessary (our top round did not need tenderizing since it was already so thin, but flank might). Season the steak pieces generously on both sides with salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce. Marinate for at least two hours.
- To prep the filling: Chop up the carrot, bell pepper and zucchini into matchstick size pieces, a little longer than the width of the steak strips. Peel and crush the garlic with the flat of a knife.
- To make the sauce: melt the butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Add the finely chopped shallot and sautee it for a minute or 2 until they turn soft and translucent. Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and beef stock and stir to mix everything well. Allow the sauce to come to a boil and reduce to almost half its volume. You’ll notice it starts becoming thicker and have the consistency of syrup. The butter also starts separating and comes to the top. Turn the heat off and transfer the sauce to a bowl.
- In the same pan (no need to wash it) add a touch of olive oil and toss in the garlic cloves to allow them to flavor the oil for a few minutes. Turn the heat up to high and toss in the carrots, bell pepper and zucchini (there’s no need to cook the green onion) and stir fry the veggies for no longer than 2-3 minutes. Season them with the the itlalian herb seasoning and salt and transfer the veggies to a bowl.
- To prep the steak rolls: Take a strip of the marinated steak and lay it with the short side towards you. Place a few of the veggies in the middle and roll the beef up over the filling, securing it with toothpick along the length of the roll. Repeat until all the rolls are assembled.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a touch of oil, swirling to coat bottom. When hot, add beef rolls, seam side down, not touching and pan fry for 2-3 minutes. Turn rolls and cook it on all sides in the same way. Cook until you’re desired done-ness is reached. Season with your favorite steak seasoning, to taste. Remove the toothpick and serve with the balsamic glaze sauce spooned over the top of each roll.