Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts (16 oz total)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for topping
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- fat free or reduced fat sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.
- To the crockpot, add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Topping suggestions: sour cream, scallions, cheese, tortilla chips or strips, cilantro, hot sauce.
Serves 6 (1 1/2 cup servings)