Creamy Potato Garlic Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds white potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/4″ rounds
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 to 6 cloves of garlic, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream or half & half
- sharp cheddar cheese
- cooked, crumbled bacon
- thin slices of cooked ham
- sour cream
- Place the sliced potatoes, onion, salt, chicken broth, and garlic into the crock of a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours. Near the end of cooking time, test the potatoes by pricking with a fork. They should easily break and fall apart.
- Remove the lid and puree the soup either with a hand held stick blender, or in a food processor or blender. Puree in small batches to avoid hot splashes of soup.
- Return the soup to the crock and add the heavy cream. Heat carefully; don’t let it come to a boil.
- Serve hot, with your choice of toppings. Shredded cheddar cheese and bacon makes a fantastic dish that tastes like your favorite baked potato with toppings!
Yield: eight 1-cup servings.