Sweet Soy-Grilled Short Ribs
- About 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Chinese oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sake, Chinese rice wine, or dry sherry
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 one-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled & minced
- 2 scallions, white parts minced, green parts thinly sliced
- Your first step will be to slice the short ribs into 1/2-inch pieces. If you can find bone-in short ribs, use them. But if you can only get the boneless variety (which is what happened to me) buy them anyway!
- Once you’ve cut the ribs into 1/2-inch portions, place them in a Tupperware container with a tight fitting lid. (This will help with marinating later on.)
- In a small mixing bowl, add sugar, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sake (or wine or sherry), garlic, and the whites of the scallions. Whisk or stir with a fork until well blended.
- Pour the marinade over the ribs, seal container tightly with its lid, and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Halfway through your marinating time, flip the container upside down to allow the marinade to penetrate all of the meat.
- (If you don’t have a Tupperware container, simply place the meat in a bowl with the marinade and cover with plastic wrap. Halfway through the marinating time, re-adjust the ribs, moving them around in the marinade for even coverage.)
- When ready to cook, preheat your grill to high. Check the heat using the “Mississippi test” — hold your hand about three inches above the grill grate; when the fire is at the right heat, you should only be able to count two or three Mississippis before you have to pull your hand away.
- Oil the grill grate (use long tongs to hold an oil-dipped cloth) and place ribs on grill. Cook until the ribs are done to your preference (about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium) and nicely browned. Your ribs could cook more quickly, or take more time. So KEEP AN EYE ON THEM, especially if you’re using the boneless variety of short ribs.
- Move ribs from the grill to a bowl, platter or plates, sprinkle the scallion greens, serve and enjoy!