Salted Caramel Butter Bars Recipe
For the Crust:
- 1 lb. salted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs vanilla
- 4 cups all purpose flour
For the Filling:
- 1 bag (14 oz.) caramel candies (51 caramels to be exact), unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- To make the crust: Preheat the oven to 325F
- Using a mixer, combine the butter and sugars until fluffy and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Sift the flour and add to the butter mixture. Mix on low speed until a smooth soft dough forms.
- Butter a 9×13 inch baking pan. Press about half of the dough evenly into the pan to form a bottom crust.
- Place the remainder of the dough in the fridge to chill.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes until firm and the edges are a pale golden brown.
- While the crust is baking and the remaining dough is chilling, make the caramel filling.
- Place the unwrapped caramels, heavy whipping cream and vanilla in a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium/low heat until completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the caramel filling evenly over the crust.
- Sprinke with sea salt.
- Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator.
- Crumble it evenly over the caramel.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 25-30 minutes until the shortbread topping is firm and lightly golden.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares.