A simple, 7 Ingredient muesli bread studded with pumpkin seeds, almonds and raisins. Perfect for sandwiches, french toast, or toasted with butter and honey for breakfast.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Bread
Serves: 18 slices
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 3 cups unbleached flour + ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ¾ tablespoons fast acting yeast (~ one pack)
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup raisins
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- Combine warm water (like bath water, or 110*), yeast, salt and flours in a large mixing bowl and stir. The result will be a sticky, rough dough. If using a stand mixer, beat at medium speed for about a minute. Otherwise just use a spoon to stir until well combined.
- Lift the dough out and lightly grease the bowl with nonstick spray or olive oil. Cover and let rise in the refrigerator for two hours. Alternatively, let rise for 2 hours at room temp and 2 hours in the fridge. I went straight for the fridge to save time.
- Once risen, lightly sprinkle the dough with flour and transfer to a floured work surface. Knead a few times and then add pumpkin seeds, almonds and raisins. Knead until until just combined, trying to keep the add-ins on the inside of the loaf, or else they’ll get too crisp while baking.
- Place on parchment-lined baking stone or lightly greased baking sheet. Sift a light coating of flour over the top; to help keep the dough moist. Let rest for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F while the dough rests. Place a metal or cast iron pan (not glass, Pyrex, or ceramic) on the lowest oven rack, and have 1 cup of hot water ready.
- When ready to bake, slash the bread 2 or 3 times with a knife, making a cut about ½-inch deep.
- Place bread in oven and carefully pour hot water into the shallow pan on the rack beneath. Expect it to bubble and steam; then close oven door quickly.
- Bake the bread for 25 to 35 minutes, or until deep, golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven and cool on a rack. Store leftovers in a plastic bag at room temp.
Serving size: per slice Calories: 106 Fat: 1.8 g Carbohydrates: 19.4 g Sugar: 1.3 g Sodium: 1 mg Fiber: 1 gProtein: 3.1 g