Cashew Carrot Meatballs
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups shredded carrot
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup toasted cashews
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp flax seeds
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1/4 cup white miso
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 2 cups whole wheat panko
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1 15 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp agave nectar
- sea salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
- juice of one small lime
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro, optional
- cooked rice for serving, optional
- To make meatballs, heat coconut oil in a large non-stick skillet, and add carrots, and shallots.
- Saute until soft, about 5-7 minutes, then add garlic and saute another minute until fragrant.
- Remove from heat. In a food processor, combine cashews, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, and process until very finely ground and almost turning into nut butter.
- Add tamari, miso, sea salt, basil and carrot mixture and process until well combined. Remove to a large bowl, and stir in panko.
- Line a baking sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick spray.
- Form the carrot nut mixture into 12 balls, and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees until just starting to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce, heat coconut oil in a small saucepan, and add ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes.
- Saute for a minute until fragrant, and add curry powder and tumeric and saute another 30 seconds, then add coconut milk and agave nectar and bring to a low simmer.
- Add sea salt to taste, and let simmer about 5 minutes, then add arrowroot mixture, lime juice and cilantro and cook until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat, and keep warm. Serve meatballs with sauce and some rice if desired.