Cabbage Roll Casserole
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp dry thyme
- ½ large cabbage, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1½ cups uncooked rice
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
- 3 cups water or beef broth
- Brown the beef in a skillet. Drain the grease and stir in the onions, garlic and spices. Cook on medium/low heat until the onions soften and become transparent.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and dump into a large casserole dish or deep 13×9 lasagna pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 90 minutes. Halfway through the cooking time, take the casserole out of the oven and give it a stir.
If you prefer to have the cabbage soft and the rice very tender, similar to cabbage rolls, add another ¼ cup of water after the 90 minutes and cook for another 30 minutes.