Apple Spice Muffins with Maple Glaze Recipe
- 1 C white flour
- 1 C wheat flour
- 1 C brown sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t cloves
- 1 C milk
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 C butter, melted
- 1 C apple, diced (I used golden delicious)
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/4 t cinnamon
- 1 T maple syrup
- 1 T apple juice (or milk)
- 1 T butter, melted
- dash salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Into a large mixing bowl pour 1 cup white flour, 1 cup wheat flour, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. Find yourself a nice sturdy fork and toss everything together until it’s well incorporated, making sure any brown sugar clumps get broken up.
2. Pour in 1 cup of milk and 1 t of vanilla.
3. Melt a 1/2 cup of butter and add it to the bowl.
4. Take a wooden spoon and give the ingredients a nice stir. Don’t mix them too much, you just want the wet ingredients (mostly the butter) to get covered up and cool down a bit so when you add the egg it doesn’t get cooked in the hot butter.
5. Crack an egg into a small bowl and whisk it until fluffy. Add it to the mixing bowl. Stir it in, just until combined.
6. Peel and core and apple. Slice it up thinly and then dice it into small chunks. Add it to the muffin batter and gently stir it in.
7. Line a muffin tin with 18 muffin liners. Scoop the batter into each liner, filling them only 2/3 full. Pop them in the oven and let them bake for 20 minutes.
8. While the muffins bake make the Maple Glaze. Find yourself a small mixing bowl and pour 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon apple juice (or milk), 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon maple syrup and a of dash salt into it. Whisk it together until smooth.
9. When the muffins are done baking take them out of the oven and let them rest in the tins for about 5 minutes. Then place them on a wire rack. While they are still warm from the oven drizzle the glaze over the tops. Be sure to place a piece of parchment paper under the rack to catch any glaze they may run off of the muffins.
Serve and enjoy!