Zucchini Gratin Recipe
- 2 small zucchini (about 1 lb)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Extra-Virgin Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 6 cup gratin dish with olive oil. Set aside.
- Sauté the onion over low heat until soft, but not colored.
- Slice the zucchini coin thin and then add to the onions and sauté an additional 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, pour 1 cup of the milk over the bread crumbs; add a splash of olive oil, eggs, thyme, 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Add the onion zucchini mixture and rice. Pour into prepared gratin dish.
- Smooth the surface and pour the remaining 1 cup of milk over the top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for one hour or until golden on top.