Slow Cooker Pork Tacos with Spicy Citrus Slaw
Spicy Dr. Pepper Shredded Pork
1 large onion
1 (5 to 7 lbs.) pork shoulder or pork butt
salt & freshly ground black pepper
11 oz. chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
24 oz. Dr. Pepper
2 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
Spicy Citrus Slaw
2 cups fresh bagged coleslaw mix
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 tsp. zest and juice from 1/2 large orange
zest and juice from 1 lime
3 tbsp. fat-free plain greek yogurt
1/2 tsp. Sriracha
seasoning salt & black pepper to taste
pepper jack cheese, shredded
any toppings you like
1. For the pork, peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Lay them in the bottom of a large slow cooker. Generously salt and pepper the pork roast, then set it on top of the onions in the slow cooker.
2. Pour the can of chipotle peppers over the pork and include the sauce. (Use less if you don’t want it as spicy.) Pour in the Dr Pepper. Optional, add brown sugar to the juice and stir in.
3. Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Check the meat at six hours; it should be falling apart (use two forks to test.) If it’s not falling apart, continue cooking for another hour, then check again.
4. Remove meat from slow cooker and place on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred meat, discarding large pieces of fat. Strain as much of the fat off the top of the cooking liquid as you can and discard it. Return the shredded meat to the cooking liquid, and keep warm until ready to serve. (You can also refrigerate the meat and liquid separately, then remove hardened fat once it’s cold. Then heat up the liquid on the stovetop and return the meat to the liquid to warm up.
5. For the slaw, combine all ingredients into a medium bowl and stir to incorporate. Season with seasoning salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. You can use it immediately, but it gets better and better the longer it sits in the refrigerator.
6. To serve, warm the flour tortillas. Top with shredded pork, pepper jack cheese, slaw, sour cream, and cilantro. Or use whatever taco toppings you like!