Homemade Zebra Cakes Recipe
- Yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare.
- 1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) shortening
- 1/4 cup marshmallow creme/fluff
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons half and half or heavy cream
- 4 cups vanilla candy melts (or roughly 16 oz vanilla almond bark)
- 8 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate candy melts (or almond bark)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 10x15x1 inch jelly roll pan (or line it with parchment paper). Prepare cake batter as directed. Spread evenly in prepared pan and bake until top springs back when lightly touched in the center (15-20 minutes). Let cake cool completely.
- While cake cools, prepare filling:
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat shortening, vanilla, and marshmallow until fully combined. Add powdered sugar and beat on medium low until just mixed. Add 1 Tablespoon of half and half and beat on high for about a minute, until filling is light and fluffy. If it seems too stiff, add another tablespoon of half and half and beat for a bit longer.
- Using a biscuit cutter or other round cutter, cut circles close together in the cake. You’ll need an even number (duh). Place the flat side of one cake circle facing down, and spread filling on the top. Place another cake on top, flat side up. Repeat with all the cakes, you should get about 12-15. Place cakes on a wax paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating and shortening, stopping to mix every 30 seconds. Once it’s fully melted and combined, place a cake in the bowl and gently spoon candy over the top. Slide a fork under the cake and lift it out, pausing to let the excess drip off. Place cake back on waxed paper. Repeat with all the cakes, then let sit at room temperature until coating is set. Since it’s thinned with shortening, it will set up firm, but not harden like chocolate.
- Once all the cakes are set, melt the dark chocolate and drizzle on the cakes.