Chocolate Malt Cupcakes
Makes: 24 cupcakes (I made 20 cupcakes and about 12 mini cupcakes)
- 16 TBSP unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup of malted milk powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs (room temp)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk
- Adjust oven to lower-middle position; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard size muffin pan (cups have 1/2 cup capacity) with baking-cup liners.
- Combine butter, chocolate, and cocoa in a medium heatproof bowl. Set bowl over saucepan containing barely simmering water; heat mixture until butter and chocolate are melted and whisk until smooth and fully combined. Set aside to cool until just warm to touch.
- Whisk flour, malt powder, baking soda, and baking powder in small bowl to combine.
- Whisk eggs in second medium bowl to combine; add sugar, vanilla, and salt and whisk until fully incorporated. Add cooled chocolate mixture and whisk until combined. Sift about one-third of the flour mixture over chocolate mixture and whisk until combined; whisk in sour cream until combined, then sift remaining flour mixture over and whisk until batter is homogenous and thick.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Bake until skewer inserted into center of cupcakes comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. (12 minutes for minis)
- Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes.
Vanilla Malt Buttercream
- 2 sticks butter (room temperature)
- 6 tablespoons malt powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 – 8 cups confectioners sugar
- Beat butter on low speed
- Add in malt powder, vanilla extract, milk, and 4 cups of sugar. Beat on low speed for 1 minute.
- Add in remaining sugar 1 cup at a time and beat on medium speed for a few minutes.