Chipotle Chicken Kabobs with Avocado Cream Sauce
For the chicken:
- Juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup of vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¾ tsp. chili powder
- ¾ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 chipotle in adobo, seeded and minced
- 2 lbs. chicken breasts and/or thighs, cut into 1½-2 inch pieces
- Minced fresh cilantro, for serving
For the avocado cream sauce:
- 1 avocado, split and pitted
- ½ cup low-fat greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium bowl or a baking dish/pie plate, combine the lime juice, oil, spices, garlic, brown sugar, and chipotle. Whisk together to combine. Add the chicken pieces to the marinade and mix well to ensure that they are all coated and mostly submerged. Cover, refrigerate, and let marinate for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill to medium-high and oil the grates. When the chicken is done marinating, thread the pieces onto skewers for grilling. (If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them first to prevent charring/burning.) Dispose of the excess marinade. Place the kabobs on the grill and let cook, turning once or twice, until all sides are slightly browned and the internal temperature registers 160˚ F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove to a plate and let rest 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle with minced fresh cilantro, if desired.
- To make the sauce, combine the avocado, yogurt, garlic and lime juice in the bowl of a food processor or a blender. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve alongside the kabobs for dipping.