- 6 slices soft whole wheat bread*
- 9 Tablespoons filling (I used peanut butter, but pie filling works, too)
- 1 egg white
- Turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove crusts from bread. With a rolling pin, roll out each slice of bread until thin and compressed. If necessary, trim edges with a knife until each slice is square.
- Place 1.5 Tablespoons of filling onto each flattened slice.
- Fold one corner to opposite corner of turnover. Using a fork, press along edges to seal. Repeat with remaining turnovers.
- Place turnovers onto lined baking sheet. Brush exposed turnover surfaces with egg white. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until edges are slightly crisp and golden.
*Variations: If desired, one could also try substituting whole wheat bread with gluten-free, white, brioche, honey wheat, or potato bread.