Old Fashioned Fudge
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease an 8×8 inch square baking pan. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, cocoa and milk in a large pot with high sides. The mixture will eventually bubble up and almost triple in size. Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, simmer and DO NOT STIR.
- Place candy thermometer in pan and cook until temperature reaches 238 degrees F(114 degrees C). This could take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. Don’t rush it.
- Remove from heat. Add butter or margarine and vanilla extract. Beat like mad with a wooden spoon until the fudge loses its sheen. DO NOT UNDER BEAT or else fudge won’t set up.
- Pour into prepared pan and let cool. Cut into about 60 squares.