Honey Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup (79 ml) fresh orange juice (about 3 small oranges)
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 3/4 pounds (794 grams) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons orange zest (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the soy sauce, orange juice, mirin, honey, ginger and sesame oil.
- Cut chicken thighs into bite-size pieces then add to the marinade. Let marinade for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan or wok (with lid) over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot use a slotted spoon to add the chicken, but not the marinade. Save the marinade until later.
- Cook chicken, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides. Turn the heat to medium-low then add the marinade and cover pan with lid. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove lid then check to see if chicken has cook through. If cooked, remove the chicken to a clean bowl. Allow the marinade to simmer for 1 to 3 minutes until thickened then toss with the chicken.
- Sprinkle top of teriyaki chicken with orange zest then serve with rice and/or vegetables.