Healthy whole wheat vegetable quiche
Makes four to five 5-inch mini quiches or 1 big quiche
Whole wheat crust
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup ice water
- Mix the flour and salt together in a food processor.
- Add the olive oil and pulse until completely combined.
- In a steady stream, slowly add the water and pulse until the mixture sticks together when pinched.
- Roll the crust into a ball, flatten it, and cut it into 4 equal pieces (leave it as one piece if making 1 big quiche in a pie pan).
- Roll out each piece of pastry dough between two pieces of parchment paper until big enough to fill your tart pans and press the dough into the non-stick mini tart-pan. Repeat with all four pieces.
- 2-3 cups of cremini and shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps sliced thin
- 4-5 cups of spinach, stems removed
- ¾ cup of non-fat milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 8-10 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Quickly sauté the mushrooms and spinach with salt & pepper over medium heat in a large skillet. Set aside.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, and flour. Add salt & pepper, depending on your taste preference.
- Divide the cooked spinach and mushrooms among the crust-lined tart pans.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of parmesan on top of each tart.
- Divide the egg mixture among the tart pans, pouring it over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle a bit of fresh basil on top and layer each tart with sliced cherry tomatoes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and completely set.
- Let cool in the tart pans for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe found here: http://www.snixykitchen.com/2013/01/19/healthy-whole-wheat-vegetable-quiche/