Gluten-Free Hot Cross Biscuits Recipe
- 2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Mix*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup Our Favorite Fruit Blend or your favorite mixture of dried fruits
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 2 large eggs
- extra butter for melting and brushing on dough
*Make sure you use gluten-free BAKING MIX — NOT gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 teaspoons milk, or enough to make a thick, pipeable icing
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, with a rack in the center.
- Whisk the spices into the baking mix.
- Work the cold butter into the baking mix, leaving some butter in small, visible pieces.
- Stir in the dried fruit.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs, and stir into the dry mixture.
- Turn the dough into a greased 8″ x 8″ baking pan, pressing it into the pan evenly.* Brush the top with melted butter.
- Bake the biscuits for 18 minutes, or until they’re golden brown. Remove them from the oven and let them cool completely in the pan. When cool, cut into 9 squares.
- To make the icing, mix the sugar, vanilla, and enough milk to make a mixture that’s smooth and pipeable. Pipe the icing atop the squares in the typical cross shape.
Yield: 9 hot cross biscuits.