Butterscotch Caramel Peach Cobbler Recipe
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs fresh peaches (about 3 or 4 large peaches), peeled, pitted and sliced, to equal 3 to 4 cups. (If peaches are very juicy, reduce water to 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (I also made one mixing dark and light brown sugar – 6 tablespoons of each – equally good)
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) butter
- 1/2 cup water
Batter (double the batter if you like)
- 1 stick of butter, melted in the baking dish
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk (if you want a thicker crust, use only 1/2 cup milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Combine the 3/4 cup brown sugar, water and butter in a saucepan and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Stir in sliced peaches, and simmer for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let sit while you prepare the batter. Place the stick of butter on the bottom of your baking dish and let it melt in a 350 F oven. Leave the oven at 350 while you make the batter.
2.For the batter. In a bowl..mix the 1/2 cup sugar, flour, baking powder and salt together. Slowly pour in the milk, stirring, to prevent clumps, until smooth. Pour mixture over melted butter. Do not stir. Carefully spoon all the peaches and syrup on top of the batter. Do not mix or stir anything. You want three separate layers; 1. melted butter, 2. batter, 3. fruit in syrup.
3. Place the baking dish on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes. The batter will rise to the top and it’s done when its golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream, yogurt, creme fraiche and/or whipped cream.