Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 2 large potatoes, diced
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
- 1-2 ribs celery, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken broth (2 tsp chicken bouillon + 1 cup warm water)
- 1 cup peas
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (I use a rotisserie chicken)
- 2 prepared pastry crusts, unbaked
- Boil the potatoes until just soft. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Heat to med-high and add celery and carrots for about 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and continue cooking until carrots are brightly colored and just starting to soften. Stir frequently. If the veggies begin to stick to the pan, add a few spoonfuls of chicken bouillon.
- Sprinkle flour over top. Stir until evenly blended.
- Stir in seasonings, peas, remaining broth, and drained potatoes.
- Add milk and cream, heating slowly and never allowing it to boil. Stir often, letting it thicken slowly.
- Add chicken and stir well.
- Roll out the pastry crust and place in a pie dish or round cake pan. Pour chicken mixture into pastry crust.
- Cover with second pastry crust. Make a few slits in the top crust to allow for the release of steam.
- Bake in preheated oven at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.