Use two ribeye steaks for this recipe and you can’t go wrong.
- 4 hoagie rolls, sliced (We love the Publix hoagie rolls!)
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced
- 1 large white onion, cut in half and sliced thick
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1.25-1.5 lbs beef ribeye steaks (sliced thinly across the grain and then chopped roughly again so they are small pieces)
- salt & pepper
- 3 1/2 Tbsp salted butter
- 8 slices of cheese (Provolone or Muenster)
- Prepare 4 sheets of foil and slice the hoagie rolls and set aside. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Heat a non-stick skillet with 1 Tbsp butter on medium high heat. Add mushrooms and half of the onions and cook 5-8 minutes or until mushrooms are browned and onions are cooked down. Remove and place on a plate.
- Wipe the skillet with a paper towel and add 1/2 Tbsp of butter and return to the stove. Cook remaining onions and bell peppers for 5-8 minutes or until peppers start to brown and blister and the onions are cooked down. Add to a separate plate (unless everyone likes peppers/onions/mushrooms then add to the plate with mushrooms & onions).
- Wipe the skillet again with a paper towel and add 1 Tbsp butter and return to stove again. Season half of the steak with salt & pepper and add to the skillet. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 2-4 minutes. Add in peppers & onions or half of the veggie mixture and cook for 1-2 minutes. Divide the meat & veggies in half as pictured above. Add 4 slices of cheese on top and allow the cheese to melt for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked meat & veggies and melted cheese to two hoagie rolls. Inside one sheet of foil, roll the hoagie roll tightly and place inside the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the remaining steak & veggies or like I did with the mushrooms and onions – for the last two hoagie rolls. Serve fresh out of the oven with chips or your favorite French fries.
- If you have leftovers (if that’s possible), refrigerate inside a zippered plastic bag inside (don’t remove it from the foil). Reheat the cheesesteaks in the foil in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.