- 1/4 cup canola or plain vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain flour (maida) – not self rising, just all-purpose.
- 1 and 1/2 full teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup milk
- 250 grams strawberries, cut into quarters
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Mix the egg, milk, vinegar and oil in a big bowl.
- Add the sugar and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder, and mix well with a whisk till smooth.
- Pour the batter into a round baking dish, which has been buttered or oiled a bit on the sides and bottom to prevent the cake from sticking. I ended up using a pie-pan. It looked cuter in it
- Now mix one tablespoon sugar with the quartered strawberries. Arrange the strawberries on the top of the batter, pushing each piece of strawberry in a bit into the batter.
- Bake it in the oven at 180 degrees for 60 minutes or till the cake is done and a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.