Citrus Rum Grilled Chicken Recipe
- Chicken, your favorite pieces or parts. I used boneless breasts and thighs.
- Oranges, 2 or 3
- Orange Juice, 2 cups or so
- Dark Rum, 2/3 cup
- Soy Sauce, 3 or 4 tablespoons
- Chicken Broth or Bouillon, 2 cups
- Brown Sugar, 1/3 cup
- Garlic, 6 or 7 cloves
- Cornstarch, 1 tablespoon
- Cream, 1/2 cup
- First, the marinade. Combine a cup of OJ, about 1/3 cup of rum and a couple of generous dashes of soy sauce. Add a dash of crushed red pepper flakes. Zest an orange and crush a few garlic cloves.
- Put the chicken in a shallow dish, throw in the zest and garlic and pour the marinade over the whole thing. Let it sit in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- Combine 2 cups of chicken broth, a cup of OJ and another couple dashes of soy sauce.
- Dump it into a small heavy sauce pan and add brown sugar, a couple of crushed garlic cloves, a sliced orange and a little crushed red pepper.
- Bring it to a low boil and let it simmer until it’s reduced by about a third.
- In a small bowl, combine a tablespoon or so of corn starch with just enough cold water to get it all dissolved. Strain the garlic and orange slices out of the sauce and stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Stir in the rum and cream and heat for a few more minutes over low heat. Keep warm until you’re ready to eat.
- Grill the chicken, basting it with the leftover marinade. Because the marinade is full of raw chicken germs, be sure not to baste in the last 15 minutes or so.
- Arrange the chicken on a platter and spoon sauce over the top.
- Garnish with a couple of orange slices if you like. Serve, passing the remaining sauce separately. Enjoy!