- Corn oil
- 2 Flour tortillas (8″)
- 2 Chorizo or spicy sausage
- 1 c Black bean pesto
- 1 c Monterey jack cheese, shred
- 2 tb Chopped cilantro (coriander)
FOR BLACK BEAN PESTO:
- 8 oz Dried black beans
- 1 qt Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Ham hock
- 2 Jalapenos, seeded
- 2 cl Garlic
- Stems from 2 bunchs of
- Cilantro (fresh coriander)
- Salt/fresh ground pepper
For Black Bean Pesto:
- Rinse and drain beans thoroughly. Place them in a large saucepan or soup kettle and add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove and discard ham hock and bay leaf. Using slotted spoon, transfer bean mixture, in batches, to the bowl of a food processor. Process, adding cooking liquid as necessary to form a smooth, thick paste. You will use a total of about 1 cup liquid.
- Transfer the pesto to a bowl and stir in the salt and pepper if needed. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use. Will keep in fridge for 2-3 days.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Fill a heavy skillet with 1/2″ corn oil. Heat it until oil just starts to move. Then fry the tortillas, one at a time, until light golden brown, about 15 seconds on each side. Drain on paper towels.
- Slice chorizo into 1/4″ thick rounds and saute them in a small skillet until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove sausage from skillet and drain on paper towel.
- Place tortillas on baking sheet, and spread pesto evenly over them. Arrange sausage over pesto and sprinkle with cheese. Top with chopped cilantro.
- Bake until brown, 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cut each tortilla into eight pieces. Serve immediately.